lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: IndexDeletionPolicy and optimized indices
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2008 12:14:24 GMT

You're right IndexCommit doesn't know that it represents an optimized

Likewise, IndexCommit doesn't know other "semantic" things about the
index, eg, you've just called expungeDeletes, or, you just finished
adding batch X of documents to the index, etc.

Also, realize that with autoCommit=false (to be the only choice in
3.0), no commit will be done after an optimize.  Ie you have to call
commit() or close() explicitly to make it a commit.

I think the simplest general approach to "know" which commit points
represent "interesting" times to the application would be to call
IW.optimize() then IW.commit() (if you are using trunk) or just
IW.close(), then look at the last IndexCommit passed to your deletion
policy's onCommit() and record yourself that this commit was the
result of an optimize.

Mike