lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "John Griffin" <>
Subject RE: newbie question (for John Griffin)
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2008 02:39:52 GMT

The code you refer to in the blog is 5 years old! Some of the code is no
longer valid with the newer Lucene jars. I wouldn't use it to test anything.

My suspicion is that your index itself is suspect. Let's see the code you
use to build the index with a small data set that will show what you are
trying to accomplish.

BUT FIRST! Look at your built index with Luke before doing this to make sure
that what you THINK you have in your index is really what you have.

Luke is at This is probably THE most important
tool you'll have in your arsenal and is pretty easy to use. You can query
your index with it and see if it responds the way you think it should. You
can enter your subject:"Good Morning" query and see what happens. If Luke
can't find what you're querying for then your code won't.

John G.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Bamford []
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 5:58 AM
Subject: Re: newbie question (for John Griffin)

Hi John,

Further to my question below, I did some back-to-basics investigation of
PhraseQueries and found that even basic ones fail for me...
I found the attached code on the Internet (see
and this fails too...  Can you explain why?  I would expect the first
test to deliver 2 hits.

I have tried with Lucene 2.0 and 2.3.2 jars and both fail.

Thanks again,

- Chris