lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dragon Fly <dragon-fly...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Index optimization ...
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:15:44 GMT
My understanding is that an optimized index gives the best search performance.  I can change
my configuration to optimize the index every 24 hours.  However, I still would like to know
if there is a way to speed up optimization by tweaking parameters like the merge factor.

> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:03:37 +0100
> From: ian.lea@gmail.com
> To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Index optimization ...
>
> OK, but why do you need to optimize before every swap?  Have you tried
> with less frequent optimizes?
>
> --
> Ian.
>

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Dragon Fly <dragon-fly999@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I have two copies (active/inactive) of the index.  Searches are executed against
the "active" index and new documents get added to the "inactive" copy.  The two indexes get
swapped every 4 hours (so that new documents are visible to the end user).  Optimization is
done before the inactive copy is made active.

> >> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:54:03 +0100
> >> From: ian.lea@gmail.com
> >> To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
> >> Subject: Re: Index optimization ...
> >>
> >> Why do you run an optimize every 4 hours?
> >>

> >> --
> >> Ian.

 I'm happy with the search/indexing performance.   However, my index gets fully optimized
every 4 hours and the time it takes to fully optimize the index is longer than I like.  Is
there anything that I can do to speed up the optimization? I don't fully understand the different
parameters (e.g. merge factor).  If I decrease the merge factor, would it make the indexing
slower (which I'm OK with) but the optimization faster? Thank you.