lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Anand Jain" <helloan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Index optimization ...
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:23:52 GMT
As an aside, I would like to understand how do you get away without adding documents to the
active index. As far as I understand, you are only adding docs to the inactive index and swap
it with the active index (so the active one becomes inactive and vice-versa). So do you bring
the "new" inactive upto speed to compensate for the documents it missed while the "old" Inactive
index got upated?

Just curious,

Anand
-----Original Message-----
From: Dragon Fly <dragon-fly999@hotmail.com>

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:00:25
To: <java-user@lucene.apache.org>
Subject: RE: Index optimization ...

I have two copies (active/inactive) of the index.  Searches are executed against the "active"
index and new documents get added to the "inactive" copy.  The two indexes get swapped every
4 hours (so that new documents are visible to the end user).  Optimization is done before
the inactive copy is made active.

> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:54:03 +0100
> From: ian.lea@gmail.com
> To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Index optimization ...
>
> Why do you run an optimize every 4 hours?
>

> --
> Ian.
>

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Dragon Fly <dragon-fly999@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly so please let me try it again.  I'm happy
with the search/indexing performance.   However, my index gets fully optimized every 4 hours
and the time it takes to fully optimize the index is longer than I like.  Is there anything
that I can do to speed up the optimization? I don't fully understand the different parameters
(e.g. merge factor).  If I decrease the merge factor, would it make the indexing slower (which
I'm OK with) but the optimization faster? Thank you.