lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Ian Lea" <ian....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Index optimization ...
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:03:37 GMT
OK, but why do you need to optimize before every swap?  Have you tried
with less frequent optimizes?

--
Ian.

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Dragon Fly <dragon-fly999@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have two copies (active/inactive) of the index.  Searches are executed against the
"active" index and new documents get added to the "inactive" copy.  The two indexes get swapped
every 4 hours (so that new documents are visible to the end user).  Optimization is done before
the inactive copy is made active.

>> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:54:03 +0100
>> From: ian.lea@gmail.com
>> To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: Index optimization ...
>>
>> Why do you run an optimize every 4 hours?
>>

>> --
>> Ian.
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Dragon Fly <dragon-fly999@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > Perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly so please let me try it again.  I'm
happy with the search/indexing performance.   However, my index gets fully optimized every
4 hours and the time it takes to fully optimize the index is longer than I like.  Is there
anything that I can do to speed up the optimization? I don't fully understand the different
parameters (e.g. merge factor).  If I decrease the merge factor, would it make the indexing
slower (which I'm OK with) but the optimization faster? Thank you.