lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Anshum <ansh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deletions
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2008 04:54:15 GMT
Hi John,

In case of deletions, it is just a delayed delete. In other words, the doc
is just marked as deleted in the deletable file, leaving a void in the
numbering of docs. The actual shifting of document ids happens only when you
optimize the index. In that case the deletables file is used to physically
remove the docs from the index.

Hope that clears the doubt :)

--
Anshum Gupta
Naukri Labs!

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 8:24 AM, John Griffin <jgriffin@thebluezone.net>
wrote:

> Guys (and Gals),
>

> A question on index deletions, what exactly happens to the Lucene document
> numbers in an index when a document is deleted? Let's say I have a 5 doc
>

> Document #                  Doc
>
> 0                                  doc1
>
> 1                                  doc2
>
> 2                                  doc3
>
> 3                                  doc4
>
> 4                                  doc5
>

> If doc 2 is deleted, is this what I'm left with?
>

> Document #                  Doc
>
> 0                                  doc1
>
> 1                                  doc2
>
> 2                                  doc4
>
> 3                                  doc5
>

> This is my assumption. If not, what DOES happen?
>

> TIA
>

> John G.

The facts expressed here belong to everybody, the opinions to me.
The distinction is yours to draw............