lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ronald Rudy <ronchal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Boolean expression for no terms OR matching a wildcard
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2008 22:14:31 GMT
Thanks Chris (or if you prefer, Hoss) - I will definitely try that for
matching no docs, but one of the problems I'm having is that I'm
indexing multiple terms for one field and I need ALL the terms to
match it.

Maybe this is easier ... suppose what I'm indexing is a phone number,
and there are multiple phone numbers for what I'm indexing under the
same field (phone) and I want the wildcard query to match only records
that have either no phone numbers at all OR where ALL phone numbers
are in a specific area code (e.g. 800* would match all in the 800 area
code).

I would want something like

+phone:800*

but I want this query to ALSO exclude any hits that have any records
that DON'T match the wildcard ... so if a record has an 800* number
AND a 900* number I don't want it to be in the results..

-Ron