lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using lucene as a database... good idea or bad idea?
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2008 12:31:29 GMT
I think the answer is it can be done and probably quite well.  I also
think it's informative that Nutch does not use Lucene for this
function, as I understand it, but that shouldn't stop you either.  You
might also have a look at Apache Jackrabbit, which uses Lucene
underneath as a content repository.

-Grant

On Jul 29, 2008, at 5:34 AM, Ganesh - yahoo wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am also interested in this. I want to archive the content of the
> document using Lucene.
>
> Is it a good idea to use Lucene as storage engine?
>
> Regards
> Ganesh
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Lea" <ian.lea@gmail.com>

>>> requirements (that we can iterate over documents, update (delete/
>>> replace)
>>> documents, etc.) and everything looks good.  I've also seen a
>>> couple of
>>> references around the net to other people trying similar things...
>>> however,
>>> I know it's not meant to be used this way, so I thought I would
>>> post here
>>> and ask for guidance?  Has anyone done something similar?  Is
>>> there any
>>> specific reason to think this is a bad idea?
>>>
>>> The one thing that I am least certain about his how well it will
>>> scale. We
>>> may reach the point where we have tens of millions of documents
>>> and a high
>>> percentage of those documents may be relatively large (10k-50k
>>> each).  We
>>> actually would NOT be expecting/needing Lucene's normal extreme
>>> fast text
>>> search times for this, but we would need reasonable times for
>>> adding new
>>> documents to the index, retrieving documents by ID (for iterating
>>> over all
>>> documents), optimizing the index after a series of changes, etc.
>>>
>>> Any advice/input/theories anyone can contribute would be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -
>>> John