lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Lu" <>
Subject Re: Using lucene as a database... good idea or bad idea?
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:37:42 GMT
It surely is possible. AFAIK, LinkedIn use lucene to store some data.

But, Lucene index in a sense is similar to database index. Both are data
structures for a specialized and limited query execution path.

So this depends on your applications' query, and how you create the lucene
index. The normal usage you listed sounds reasonable.
But you may also need to think about maintenance. In case the index is
corrupted somehow, you may also consider store the data into database, which
are more easier to manually manipulate.

Chris Lu
Lucene Database Search in 3 minutes:
DBSight customer, a shopping comparison site, (anonymous per request) got
2.6 Million Euro funding!