lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Shalin Shekhar Mangar" <shalinman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IndexDeletionPolicy and optimized indices
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2008 09:17:24 GMT
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response.

Looking at the general way the filenames are organized:

IndexCommit.getFileNames() without optimize (after IW.close())
[segments_4, _0.cfs, _1.cfs, _2.cfs]
IndexCommit.getFileNames() after optimize+close [segments_5, _4.cfs]

We can compare the latest commit point's files with the previous
commit point's files and if the number of .cfs files have decreased
(or equal) (with a +1 in generation number), can we reliably say if an
optimize has happened?

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Michael McCandless
<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:

> You're right IndexCommit doesn't know that it represents an optimized index.
>
> Likewise, IndexCommit doesn't know other "semantic" things about the index, eg, you've
just called expungeDeletes, or, you just finished adding batch X of documents to the index,
etc.

> Also, realize that with autoCommit=false (to be the only choice in 3.0), no commit will
be done after an optimize.  Ie you have to call commit() or close() explicitly to make it
a commit.

> I think the simplest general approach to "know" which commit points represent "interesting"
times to the application would be to call IW.optimize() then IW.commit() (if you are using
trunk) or just IW.close(), then look at the last IndexCommit passed to your deletion policy's
onCommit() and record yourself that this commit was the result of an optimize.

> Mike
>
> Shalin Shekhar Mangar wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm implementing a custom IndexDeletionPolicy. An IndexCommit object
>> does not have any information whether it's index is optimized or not.
>> How can a IndexDeletionPolicy know which IndexCommit instances
>> corresponded to optimized indices?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Shalin Shekhar Mangar.