lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Antony Bowesman <...@teamware.com>
Subject Re: Modifying a document by updating a payloads?
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2008 03:55:44 GMT
Hi Mike,

> Unfortunately you will have to delete the old doc, then reindex a new
> doc, in order to change any payloads in the document's Tokens.
>
> This issue:
>
>     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1231
>
> which is still in progress, could make updating stored (but not indexed)
> fields a much lower cost operation, but that's not for sure and it's not
> clear when that issue will be done.

Michael Busch's Apache Con (2006/7??) presentation summarized with the bullet

"Per-document Payloads – updateable"

Is making a document 'updatable' (in _some_ way) something still seen as a long
term goal for Lucene?

As far as implementation is concerned, if a stored (not indexed) field may be
updatable with 1231, is there some difficulty with making payloads, which from
my understanding are attributed to a posting of an indexed field, updatable.  I
guess they ultimately equate to the same thing - i.e. using a stored field to
hold the document's "payload", but it would be an extra field to load.

Antony