lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jamie <>
Subject Re: Lucene Search Error: Bad file descriptor
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2008 00:02:29 GMT

I feel like we are having to tip toe across JRE bugs to get this to work
right. I am definitely not pointing fingers, since the issues and their
resolutions are complex but
I would appreciate some insight on the most reliable combination of JRE
6 and Lucene. I cannot downgrade the JRE to 5 as my code is deeply dependent
on Java 1.6. Right now, I'm thinking about updating the JRE to 6 update
7 and using the latest nightly  Lucene snapshot available here:

Is this a good strategy?

Jamie wrote:
> Hi All,
> I found something interesting....
> Could this error be the result of the bad file descriptor close bug as
> described in
> This would definitely fit the description since this happened on JRE
> 1.6u3.... apparently, update 3 suffered from this file descriptor
> issue. The fix
> is to update the JRE to the latest version (which I believe is update 7).
> Michael, what does one need to do to overcome the other JRE 1.6 bug?
> Are we still waiting for a JRE update from Sun to address it?
> Is there a workaround that we can use in the meantime?
> Thanks
> Jamie

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: