lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Bamford <chris.bamf...@scalix.com>
Subject Re: newbie question (for John Griffin) - fixed
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:31:36 GMT
Thanks Steve.

Steven A Rowe wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> The PhraseQuery class does no parsing; tokenization is expected to happen before you
feed anything to it.  So unless you have an index-time analyzer that outputs terms that look
like "aaa ddd" -- that is, terms with embedded spaces -- then attempting to use PhraseQuery
or any other query type to look for these terms will bring you no joy.  (Of course, this only
applies if you are not using a query parser - I believe John's point about enclosing a phrase
query in quotes refers to the action Lucene's QueryParser takes when it sees input of this
sort.)

> The way that it worked for you - adding terms one at a time, with no quotes and no spaces
- is the correct usage pattern.

> Steve
>
> On 07/15/2008 at 8:20 AM, Chris Bamford wrote:
>
>> Hi John
>>
>> Thanks for your continued interest in my travails!
>>
>> ==I'm not sure I understand. You want a phrase query so they should be
>> ==passed as a phrase in quotes.
>>
>> Ok... well I must be missing something then  :-(
>> This fails to return any hits for me:
>>
>>         PhraseQuery pq = new  PhraseQuery();
>>         pq.add(new Term("body", "aaa ddd"));
>>
>> while
>>        PhraseQuery pq = new  PhraseQuery();
>>        pq.add(new Term("body", "aaa"));
>>        pq.add(new Term("body", "ddd"));
>>
>> works fine.
>> I have tried with both Lucene 2.0 and 2.3 jars.
>>
>> Please advise!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Chris
>>     BTW thanks for the tip about Luke