lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Taylor <paul_t...@fastmail.fm>
Subject Move from RAMDirectory to FSDirectory causing problem sometimes
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2008 08:01:08 GMT
Hi, I have been using a RAMDirectory for indexing without any problem,
but I then moved to a file based directory to reduce memory usage. this
has been working fine on Windows and OSX and my version of linux
(redhat) but is failing on a version of linux (archlinux) with 'Too many
files opened' , but they are only indexing 32 documents , I can index
thousands without a problem. It mentions this error in the Lucene FAQ
but I am not dealing directly with the filesystem myself, this is my
code for creating an index is it okay or is there some kind of close
that I am missing

thanks for any help Paul

public synchronized void reindex()
    {
        MainWindow.logger.info("Reindex start:" + new Date());
        TableModel tableModel = table.getModel();
        try
        {
            //Recreate the RAMDirectory uses too much memory
            //directory = new RAMDirectory();
            directory =
FSDirectory.getDirectory(Platform.getPlatformLicenseFolder()+ "/" +
TAG_BROWSER_INDEX);
            IndexWriter writer = new IndexWriter(directory, analyzer, true);

            //Iterate through all rows
            for (int row = 0; row < tableModel.getRowCount(); row++)
            {
                //for each row make a new document
                Document document = createDocument(row);
                writer.addDocument(document);

            }
            writer.optimize();
            writer.close();
        }
        catch (Exception e)
        {
            throw new RuntimeException("Problem indexing Data:" +
e.getMessage());
        }
}