lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Karl Wettin <karl.wet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to handle frequent updates.
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 08:31:00 GMT

8 jul 2008 kl. 21.33 skrev miztaken:

> Hi there,
> I know lucene is for indexing and not for frequent updates and delete.
> But i have been using lucene to store my matrix as a document.
> Since with my algorithm the value of matrix can change so i am
> updating the
> value.
> But for this i have to close and reopen indexReader and in
> additional to
> that the reader is not able to read the documents hold in the RAM
> directory
> or buffer in indexWriter... i.e. documents that are hold in memory by
> indexwriter due to other parameters set for indexwriter so
> eventually i have
> to optimize or flush the writer and reopen the reader to get accurate
> results.
>
> Is there some work around for this type of job?

You want updates that show up in the reader/searcher without latency?
I believe LUCENE-1313 is an attempt at that.

> Can any one suggest me any other open source API ?

What sort of operations do you use the matrix for? How large can it
grow? Can you give an example of what the matrix might contain?

What was the reason to solve your problem using Lucene? Is there some
specific feature that made something easier or faster than the
solutions you discarded?

               karl