lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Balthasar Schopman <lstitc...@gmail.com>
Subject can the boolean operators be disabeled ?
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2008 16:11:55 GMT
Hiya,

Is there a way to disable boolean operators in the Lucene engine?

The reason for this question is the mystical / unexpected exception I
encounter when parsing a query containing many words. I query on a
single field with a query containing 2243 words (14.742 characters).
I haven't had this issue with smaller queries. I remove the Lucene
special characters (+, -, &&, ||, !, (, ), {, }, [, ], ^, \, ~,
*, ?, :, \) and boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT) from string before
including them in a query. Then I construct the query as follows:
Query q = new QueryParser("alldata", analyser).parse(queryString);
and call
Hits hits = searcher.search(q);

An exception with the following message is thrown:
Cannot parse '<big string>': too many boolean clauses

Kind regards,
Balthasar Schopman