lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From John Patterson <>
Subject Re: Mixing non scored an scored queries
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:07:14 GMT

Erick Erickson wrote:
> No, you create the filter via TermDocs/TermEnum. You can also cache
> them. Creating filters is *much* faster than you think <G>.

But I can have many terms in the query.  With over 10 million documents and
many concurrent searches, creating a filter for every search would create a
lot of garbage, use a lot of ram and surely cripple the performance.

Also, I use the boolean AND and OR type functionality when filtering out

And logically, it does not need to be done.  I am just looking for the
standard way that people use fields to narrow done results.  Every product
catalogue / shopping site does it.

Erick Erickson wrote:
> Alternatively, you could boost everything *else* by some large factor
> and then the unimportant fields would add relatively little to the final
> score.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Is there truly no non-hack way to accomplish

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message