lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From jnance <nanc...@ornl.gov>
Subject Searching for instances within a document
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 13:49:40 GMT

Hi,

I am indexing lots of text files and need to see how many times a certain
word comes up in each text file. Right now I have this constructor for
"search":

 static void search(Searcher searcher, String queryString) throws
ParseException, IOException {
		 QueryParser parser = new QueryParser("content", new StandardAnalyzer());
		 Query query = parser.parse(queryString);
		 Hits hits = searcher.search(query);

		 int hitCount = hits.length();
		 if (hitCount == 0) {
			 System.out.println("0 documents contain the word \"" + queryString +
".\"");
		 }
		 else {
			 System.out.println(hitCount + " documents contain the word \"" +
queryString + ".\"");
		 }
	 }

This tells me how many documents contain the word I'm looking for... but how
do I get it to tell me how many times the word occurs within that document?

Thanks,

James