lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Doron Cohen" <cdor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Concurrent query benchmarks
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2008 06:13:37 GMT
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 3:50 AM, Otis Gospodnetic <
otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Glen,
>
> Thanks for sharing.  Does your benchmarking tool build on top of
> contrib/benchmark? (not sure if that one lets you specify the number of
> concurrent threads -- if it does not, perhaps this is an opportunity to add
> this functionality).

contrib/benchmark's syntax for parallel-execution spawns parallel threads.
I.e. something like
    [ Search ] : 20
would run 20 queries in parallel, and this
    [ Search ] : 20000 : 5
would run 20,000 queries in parallel, but starting up to 5 new threads per
second.
One more example:
    [
       { SearchTrav(20) > : 300
    ] : 500
Would spawn 500 threads each running 300 queries, where query 20 results are
traversed.
It allows various parallel settings, though not sure it covers exactly what
Glen did.

> I couldn't find info about the index format (compound or not) you used.  It
> would be good to see the comparison with high number of threads for the 2
> index formats.  It would also be good to see the numbers when the index has
> no deletion and when it has some percentage of docs deleted.
>

> Finally, if you end up extending contrib/benchmark, I think just having the
> ability to pump the results of that into a gnuplot script would be nice to
> have.

Yes this would be great!