lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From lutan <ws...@live.cn>
Subject RE: The performance of lucene searching(web entironment) test
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:43:46 GMT

Very grateful for Toke Eskildsen of attention my questions.
The performance of lucene searching(web entironment) test> To: java-user@lucene.apache.org>
> On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 18:56 +0800, lutan wrote:> > Yes ,I have test again with
same entironment but to use singleton > > IndexSearcher.the performance has increased.
there 100 concurrent> > user request use different keyword ,and get 60 TPS(2 TPS before).>
> and now the bottleneck seem to be CPU,and the CPU using approach > > 100%.and both
RAM(using 70MB average), HD using as normal.> > It sounds like you have found the solution
to your immediate problem.> Great.>

The performance increase dependents on your suggestion.
Today I hava another tesing,and using  RemoteSearchable(code like
the example of <lucene in action> supply).
app runing setps:
1,A customer request a keyword to web(JBoss:192.168.0.1).
2,JBoss call RMIServer(192.168.0.2)(the index file on it).
other tesing entironment as same as before.

the result:
loadrunner: 300 concurrent user(I find one user ,one TCP/IP
connection  form WebServer  to  RMIServer),
and  the TPS got 180+,web response time is
 about 2 second average. both WebServer and RMIServer
 has being using as normal of
cpu(50%),ram(not full).

the performance almost  achieve thrice !
 It's amazing to me:)
I consider the method of RMI would hava low performance(
because of expensively net using),
but the  result is really puzzled me  :(

> > Could I consider that as long as I have a larger capacity RAM ,and I > > will
get a good performance.> > Depends on your index-size (in bytes). When your index grows,
less and> less of it can fit in the disk-cache and more time will be required for> proper
warm-up. But the change will happen gradually, so you'll only be> surprised if you suddenly
increase your index-size to double or more> size.>
> > I don't understand " for disk-cache" meaning very clear.Could you please> >
explain it again.Thanks a lot!(does't cache on RAM?)> > does warm-up == cache?> >
There are (at least) two important memory mechanisms to consider.> My apologies if some
of this is basic knowledge to you:> > 1) Disk-cache.> In general, the free RAM on
your Linux-system is used for disk-cache.> With an index-size of 3GB and (just a guess)
1 GB free RAM, the> operating system is able to cache 1/3 or less of your index. If you
open> the same index several times in a row, the disk-cache will be warmed to> the relevant
parts of your index, so that you're not even hitting the> disk after a while. At least
not for opening. This is the effect you> observed with your non-singleton based test, where
the speed increased> slowly up to a not-so-high level.> > 2) Lucene internal structures.>
I don't know much about this, so I hope somebody will correct me if I> make mistakes: Lucene
has some internal structures
  that are initialized> when searches are performed. Depending on setup, this initialization
can> be quite heavy (custom search for example). Performing warm-up, such as> searching
with previously logged queries, will initialize these> structures before the real queries
are received. This is the effect you> observed with your singleton searcher.> > 1
& 2 can be seen in combination, as the initialization of the internal> structures in
Lucene requires a fair amount of seeks in the index data.> If there's nothing in the disk-cache
and a conventional platter-based> harddisk is used, it takes some time. If the disk-cache
is warmed from> previous use or a solid state drive setup is used, it is much faster.>

I have understand it by your reply,thanks a lot.

cache size?> > I don't know. Maybe someone else will chime in?> > > --------------------------------------------------------------------->