lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Anshum <ansh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: swapping Lucene's on RAM drive
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:50:42 GMT
Hi Tom, perhaps this is regarding Compass and you would have wanted to post
this query there.
In case you are looking and asking about running 2 instances of lucene on
the machine with 2 separate indexes in RAM, could you specify :
* Do you use tmpfs or do you load it using the RamDirectory class?
* In case you use tmpfs, you'd have to clean it manually after releasing the
hold of the engine (by stopping or closing the old index reader). The
cleaning is done straight off by deleting the index or moving the index off
the tmpfs after closing the index reader. Incase you happen to do it without
closing the reader, though the dir won't be listed under the directory
listing but it would still be using all of that space (which you would only
realise if you run out of space i.e. have space constraints).
* In the other case, if you are just using the OS cache mechanism or
something like it, it would not get cleaned up but gradually be cleaned as
and when the OS needs to allocate more memory (that is how caching works).

--
Anshum
Naukri Labs!