lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Glen Newton" <glen.new...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Concurrent query benchmarks, with 1,2,4,8 readers
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:11:45 GMT
Hi Otis,

Thanks for the feedback.

2008/6/11 Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com>:
> Hi Glen,
>
> Aha, good to see the benefit of multiple IndexReaders/Searchers so clearly.  Makes me
think we'll want to add a config setting for this in Solr... :)

Until then, you might want to use: Runtime.availableProcessors()
as the default #.
Oh no, that won't work: it gives me 8 (the number of hyperthread
processors) versus 4 (# of real cores. Hmm, I consider not being able
to find the number of physical cores as being, well, a bug (I guess
you could turn-off hyperthreading). Anyone know if there is a JSR
looking for perhaps: Runtime.availableRealProcessors()  ??

> As for why 4 is the best choice, I think it's because of those 4 cores that you've got.
 My guess is that you'll see slightly better performance with 5 threads and then the performance
will slowly deteriorate with more readers/searchers.... let's see it!

I'm running it & will post when it is done.

thanks,

Glen  :-)

-