lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From John Byrne <john.by...@propylon.com>
Subject Re: Preventing index corruption
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:20:17 GMT
Hi,

Rather than disabling the merging, have you considered putting the
documents in a separate index, possibly in memory, and then deciding
when to merge them with the main index yourself?

That way, you can change you mind and simply not merge the  new
documents if you want.

To do this, you can create a new RAMDirectory, and add your documents to
that, then when you want to merge with the main index, open an
IndexWriter on the main index, and call
IndexWriter.addIndexes(Directory[]). Of course, you don't have to use a
RAMDirectory, but it would make sense, if it's only purpose is to
temporarily hold the documents until you decide to commit them.

I don't know what will happen if the computer crashes during the merge,
but see http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_2/api/index.html

This is from the "IndexWriter.addIndexes(Directory[])" documentation:

"This method is transactional in how Exceptions are handled: it does not
commit a new segments_N file until all indexes are added. This means if
an Exception occurs (for example disk full), then either no indexes will
have been added or they all will have been."

I hope that helps!

Regards,
-JB