lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Matthew Hall <>
Subject Re: Problem with search an exact word and stemming
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:20:45 GMT
You could also add another data field to the index, with an untokenized
version of your data, and then use a multifield query to go against both
the stemmed and exact match parts of your search at the same time.

This is a technique I've used quite often on my project with various
different requirements for the second field.  Mind you it makes the
indexes bigger, but unless your dataset is large its not really a huge

Erick Erickson wrote:
> The way I've solved this is to index the stemmed *and* a special
> token at the same position (see Synonym Analyzer). The From your
> example, say you're indexing progresser. You'd go ahead and index the
> stemmed version , "progress", AND you'd also index "progresser$"
> at the same offset. Now, when you want exact matches, search for
> the token with the $ at the end.
> This does make your index a bit larger, but not as much as you'd expect.
> Best
> Erick
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 4:21 AM, renou oki <> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I have a stemmed index, but i want to search the exact form of a word.
>> I use French Analyzer, so for instance "progression", "progresser" are
>> indexed with the linguistic root "progress".
>> But if I want to search the word "progress" (and only this word), I have to
>> many hits (because of "progression", "progresser"...)
>> The field is indexed, tokenized and no store...
>> Is there a way to do this, I mean to search an exact word in a stemmed
>> ?
>> I suppose that I have to use the same analyzer for indexing and searching.
>> I try with a PhraseQuery, with quotes...
>> Ps : I use lucene 1.9.1
>> Thanks
>> Renald

Matthew Hall