lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From John Byrne <john.by...@propylon.com>
Subject case insensitivity
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:37:19 GMT
Hi,

I know that case-insensitive searching is normally done by creating an
all-lower-case version of the documents, and turning the search terms
into lower case whenever this field is searched, but this approach has
it's disadvantages.

Let's say, for example, you want to find "Dell" (with a capital "D"),
near "computers" (with or without capitals, ie. in any case). The
problem is that you would need to use a SpanQuery to find terms near
each other; but if the case-sensitivity required is different for each
term, then they will be in different fields, making the use of
SpanQuerys inpossible.

There might be ways to work around this, but my question is: will
case-insensitvity ever be added to Lucene as per-Term option? If not,
can anyone tell me where I should start looking in order to make this
change myself?

Thanks!

-JB