lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Eric Bowman <ebow...@boboco.ie>
Subject Re: Copying a part of index and index structure
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:23:56 GMT
Anshum wrote:
> Hey Andrzej,
> Could you tell me as to what research suggests this and why is it this way?
> My calculation says the average load on each server would go down as I would
> know what server to query for an index term as opposed to querying all
> servers for terms.
> I'm looking for a solution wherein I could break up the index based any
> criteria and know what index to query for any input (and not query indexes
> that would lead to zero results).

It is perhaps heresy on this mailing list, but GridGain makes this kind
of thing really easy.  Obviously you could roll your own with Hadoop as
well.

In this case you would simply have multiple indexes, each deployed to a
different grid node, and a load balancing SPI that sent requests to the
right grid node or nodes.

cheers,
Eric

--