lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Tom <t...@tbee.org>
Subject swapping Lucene's on RAM drive
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:23:53 GMT
I have not been able to find much information about this, hence this
question.

Currently I use Lucene through Compass with the data stored in RAM. The
indexed information is updated daily and therefore I create a new
Compass/Lucene combination every day, let it load the new data and then
swap the active search engine (simply assigning a 'global' variable).
So, all in memory.

I'm not confident what this will do with the memory. In my setupo each
Compass/Lucene engine gets a separate ram store based on a different id
per engine:

    ...setSetting(CompassEnvironment.CONNECTION, "ram://" + id)

And this seems to be working okay. However:
1. Is this the correct way to have 2 engines running next to each other
(while the second one is loading the new data)?
2. After the engines are swapped, is the RAM store of the now not used
engine automatically cleaned up? If not, how do I?

Thanks for any help!

Tom