lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Rebuilding parallel indexes
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2008 19:35:26 GMT
Antony Bowesman wrote:
> I have a design where I will be using multiple index shards to hold
> approx 7.5 million documents per index per month over many years.  These
> will be large static R/O indexes but the corresponding smaller parallel
> index will get many frequent changes.
>
> I understand from previous replies by Hoss that the technique to handle
> this is to use parallel indexes where the parallel index gets rebuilt
> periodically with the changing data.
>
> However, this 'periodically' needs to be quite frequent to try to
> provide responsive changes to the index, potentially several times a
> dat.  One problem is that there can be updates to any of the data in
> almost any month, so an update by a user to 120 documents, one document
> per month for 10 years, requires a full rebuild of the 120 index shards
> of 7.5m docs each...
>
> I was wondering what the technical reasons were why a 'delete+add' could
> not allow the original docId to be re-used, thus keeping the two
> parallel indexes in sync without requiring a rebuild.
>
> If this could be overcome, this would make this parallel index pattern
> so much more useful for large volume data sets.
>
> Any thoughts

I have a thought ;) Perhaps you could use a FilteredIndexReader to
maintain a map between new IDs and old IDs, and remap on the fly.
Although I think that some parts of Lucene depend on the fact that in a
normal index the IDs are monotonically increasing ... this would
complicate the issue.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><