lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: case insensitivity
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:02:23 GMT
Well, it depends on what you mean by "per term". There's already
PerFieldAnalyzerWrapper for each field, but I don't think that's what
you want.

How do you expect a per term analyzer to behave? I'm having a hard
time thinking of a use case that's general. You could always
roll your own analyzer that didn't change case for your particular
list of words.

But the problem is your users. In your example, suppose a user
typed in "dell computers". Would that match "Dell computers"?
Does your analyzer automatically upper-case some words? If it
does, that's the same as lower casing them all. If it doesn't,
how do you explain that to your users?

All in all, I'm having a tough time imagining how this would work.
It's easy enough to say "let's assume", but I suspect that
whatever solution satisfied your example will have its own problems
that are far worse than just lower-casing things.

Best
Erick