lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Elschot <paul.elsc...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: Scoring filters
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:14:32 GMT
Op Wednesday 11 June 2008 01:41:38 schreef Karl Wettin:
> Each of my filters represent single boosting term queries. But when
> using the filter instead o the boosting term query I loose the score
> (not sure this is true) and payload boost (if any), both essential
> for the quality of my results. If I was to add payloads to the bits
> that are set, what is the best or simplest way to get the score back
> in? How about wrapping each filter in a query?
>
> Are there any obvious problems with this strategy that I've missed?

Why not add the boosting term queries as required
to a BooleanQuery? This has the advantage that it uses the
index data and the various caches built into Lucene and the
underlying OS.

In case you have the memory available, it is also possible to keep
the score values of any Query with the Filter and implement a Scorer
using the filter docs and these score values. Then use this as the
scorer for a new Query, via a Weight.
Once this new Query is available, just add it as required to a
BooleanQuery.

Regards,
Paul Elschot