lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: lucene farsi problem
Date Thu, 08 May 2008 10:43:04 GMT

Point #2 does not belong on this forum.  This is a forum for Lucene
Java, not for political views.  There are plenty of other places for
that, so let's close this discussion off on this particular point and
simply address the issue at hand with Lucene and LUCENE-1279.

Cheers,
Grant

On May 8, 2008, at 4:52 AM, Vizzini wrote:

> Dear Steven
>
> Thanks for reply. I've just checked the link and it was working.
> Anyway, you
> are right, but my point is to use the correct term for main 3 reasons:
>
> 1. Respect the host language, i.e. English
> 3. Apparently the Islamic regime in Tehran is against the word
> ‘Persian’,
> and we as the free world have responsibility to fight them in any
> possible
> way – and in the meantime assist Iranians in their fight against the
> tyrant
> Moslem clerics.
>
> Kind Regards
> PV
>

> Steven A Rowe wrote:
>>
>> Hi PV,
>>
>> On 05/07/2008 at 2:54 AM, PV wrote:
>>> Sorry for cross posting, but why the word 'Farsi' instead of
>>> 'Persian'?  No one says Lucnce français or Español, or Deutsch -
>>> so why
>>> Farsi?
>>>
>>> Please read the following article, I found it quite enlightening.
>>> http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Languages/persian_not_farsi.htm
>>>
>>> PV
>>
>> I was unable to follow your link -- I get the message "The page
>> cannot be
>> found" -- but Google's cache came to my rescue:
>>
>> <http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:vJo1ye09MzYJ:www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Languages/persian_not_farsi.htm+persian+farsi+site:cais-soas.com&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

>> The article makes fine logical arguments against the use of
>> "Farsi", but
>> clearly does not take a balanced point of view on the controversy.
>>
>> I count myself among the ignorant - I had not realized that "Farsi"
>> was a
>> politically charged term.  That said, I don't plan on refusing to
>> use the
>> term.  I'll just think about the impact of the choice (now that I'm
>> aware
>> there is one) before I do use it.
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer.  Knowledge is good.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> On 05/07/2008 at 2:54 AM, Vizzini wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry for cross posting, but why the word 'Farsi' instead of
>>> 'Persian'?  No one says Lucnce français or Español, or Deutsch -
>>> so why
>>> Farsi?
>>>
>>> Please read the following article, I found it quite enlightening.
>>> http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Languages/persian_not_farsi.htm
>>>
>>> PV

>>> http://www.nabble.com/lucene-farsi-problem-
>>> tp16977096p17098552.html Sent
>>> from the Lucene - Java Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>>

> --

Grant Ingersoll

Lucene Helpful Hints: