lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Dan Rugg" <D...@redlasso.com>
Subject Version 2.3 Does Not Index/Digest All Document Tokens
Date Fri, 16 May 2008 15:37:11 GMT
After upgrading to version 2.3.x from 2.2.0, we started experiencing
issues with our index searches.  Some searches produced false positives,
while others produce no hits for terms known to be in specific documents
that where digested.  After setting up tests that created indexes
containing single documents we found that version 2.3.x did not add all
the tokens from a document the index while 2.2.0 did.  The only thing
that changed between the tests were the lucene jar being used, and a
fresh index was created for each test.

It seems to be some random action that 2.3.x is taking, or not taking.
While tokens such as 'traffic' will not be digested in one document, it
will in another.  Token frequency, order, and relative position seem to
not matter, as indexed and non-indexed tokens where across the board.
The documents being ingested where XML, and the tokenizer for the
documents were the same for 2.2.0 and 2.3.x.  We even did a token dump
of the documents and verified the documents where being tokenized
correctly.

I did notice rebuilding the index was quicker with 2.3.x and the index
was smaller, but I guess if you aren't adding tokens to the index it is
bound to smaller.  BTW, we tested versions 2.3.1, 2.3.2, and 2.2.0.  We
are now back to using 2.2.0.

Daniel Rugg