lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Treatment of Metadata
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 23:23:28 GMT
Hi Tod,

Lucene doesn't know anything you don't tell it about your documents/
metadata.  You would need to create fields for the metadata for a
document and then index them.  You could just do something like a
document with fields:
text
author
createDate

These all can be "separate" when it comes to searching by creating the
appropriate query against the fields.

So, I think the answer to your questions is yes, there is a way to
query documents for metadata, but it isn't any different from querying
anything else.  After all, Lucene has no clue what a word document is
to begin with anyway.

-Grant