lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IndexReader.reopen memory leak
Date Fri, 30 May 2008 11:08:16 GMT
John Wang wrote:
> My client does not call my reader.reopen(), I have implemented a reload()
> method off of my reader (void reload()), and it discards the internal reader
> upon a reload. Due to another issue (an api issue with IndexReader, e.g. all
> derived implementations have to reimplement reopen because it has to return
> its instance even if there is nothing specific to do, kinda defeats the
> purpose of object overriding)
>
> Anyway, my system only calls myReader.reload() everytime the index "flips"
> Re Mark's comment, does your test do both indexing and searching during the
> duration of your run? How big is your index?
>
> Thanks
>
> -John

Yes...I constantly index with 8 threads on one writer while searching
with many more threads. Then I let it run for like an hour and watch.
The index is tiny to start and then grows to a moderate size...nothing
crazy.

I am also reopening a lot on a real index of 3.5 million +  docs
though...and I see no leak evidence there either.