lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Can POI provide reliable text extraction results for production search engine for Word, Excel and PowerPoint formats?
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 14:13:15 GMT
Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> I've used POI, as well as commercial providers.  As always, it depends
> :-)  I wasn't particularly impressed with the commercial providers given
> the amount of money they wanted for it.   PDF was particularly tricky,
> but you weren't asking about that.   At least w/ POI, you have the
> opportunity to fix things that don't work based on your priorities.  I
> don't know what the failure rate is for the commercial providers, but my
> experience is they will all fail at least once, so you better plan on
> it.  I'd look to use a framework like Tika or Aperture, where you can
> easily upgrade or plug in new or different libraries (including
> commercial providers) as needed w/o rewriting your code.  Additionally,
> with something like Tika or Aperture, you could easily mix and match
> your solutions, such that you use one for Word and a different one for
> PPT or PDF.
>
> One issue with any of them is how you plan to use them.  If you need
> more than bag of words, they all get less reliable, especially when it
> comes to PDFs and Office docs.  Dealing with things like tables,
> columns, captions, labels, etc. has always been problematic in my
> experience when one wants to do higher level processing (beyond keyword
> search).

Yet another option ... In the past I used a licensed copy of MS Office
to extract things that I wanted, using a bit of OLE automation and
VBscript. Worked reasonably well, in the sense that I had no issues
whatsoever with extracting the content _and_ formatting from any
documents that could be normally opened with MS Office - however,
performance was an issue, ie. it was slow, CPU/memory hog, and
occasionally it would get stuck in a weird state when only complete
reboot would help.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><