lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dan Hardiker <dhardi...@adaptavist.com>
Subject Numerical Range Query
Date Mon, 12 May 2008 17:39:56 GMT
Hi,

I've got an application which stores ratings for content in a Lucene
index. It works a treat for the most part, apart from the use-case I
have for being able to filter out ratings that have less than a given
number of rates. It kinda works, but seems to use Alpha ranging rather
than Numeric ranging.

Here is the Java code I am using:

luceneQuery.add( new RangeQuery( new Term(RateUtils.SF_FILTERED_CNT,
minRatesString), null, true), BooleanClause.Occur.MUST );

For context:

* luceneQuery is a org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery
* RateUtils.SF_FILTERED_CNT is the String containing the appropriate
field name "rating-filtered-count"
* minRatesString is an integer as a String

Here is where the field is added into the index:

document.add( new Field(RateUtils.SF_FILTERED_CNT, String.valueOf(
filteredCount ), Field.Store.YES, Field.Index.UN_TOKENIZED) );

For context:

* document is a org.apache.lucene.document.Document
* filteredCount is an int (counting the number of rates that have occurred)

Unfortunately it doesn't work quite as I expected as if I have 5
documents in the index:

# 5 ratings
# 9 ratings
# 1 rating
# 0 ratings
# 11 ratings

If minRatesString is "5" then only the first document is returned, if
it's "1" then the 3rd and 5th are returned, if its "6" then none are
returned. It appears to be filtering alphabetically (starting with the
first digit/character and matching on that) rather than numerically.

Oddly enough, if I sort on that field ... it works as I expect.

Am I missing something?

--
Dan Hardiker

PS: I've been googling for well over an hour, if I'm not searching with
the right terms - please advise me! I tried to find a way to search the
archives specifically, but I could only browse them month by month.