lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From syedfa <fayyazud...@gmail.com>
Subject How to return entire resultset which includes the highlighted keywords
Date Wed, 21 May 2008 01:33:37 GMT

Dear Fellow Java/Lucene developers:

I am trying to use the Highlighter class to return the keywords that the
user is searching for in bold.  However, instead of returning a fragment of
the block of text where the keyword is found, I would like to return the
ENTIRE block of text.  Here is the block of code that I am using:

QueryScorer scorer = new QueryScorer(parser);
Highlighter highlighter = new Highlighter(scorer);
for(int i=0; i<hits.length(); i++){
         Document doc=hits.doc(i);
         String lns = doc.get("LINES");
         String spkr = doc.get("SPEAKER");
         TokenStream lines = analyser.tokenStream("LINES", new
StringReader(lns));
         String highlightedLines = highlighter.getBestFragment(lines, lns);
         SearchResult resultBean = new SearchResult();
         resultBean.setNarrator(hits.doc(i).get("SPEAKER"));
         resultBean.setQuote(highlightedLines);
         System.out.println(resultBean.getNarrator());
         System.out.println(resultBean.getQuote());
         System.out.println("");
        }

I am searching through some quotes that have been taken from Shakespeare's
"Hamlet" that is in xml format.  If I search for the keyword "arrows", I
would like to return:

HAMLET
To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action.--Soft you now!
The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remember'd.

and not:

HAMLET
To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say

Is this possible, and if so, how?

My sincerest thanks to each and everyone who replies.

Sincerely;
Fayyaz