lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris McGee <cbmc...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: How to improve performance of large numbers of successive searches?
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:17:30 GMT
Hi Erick,

Thanks for the information. I tried using a HitCollector and a
FieldSelector. I'm getting some dramatic improvements gathering large
result sets using the FieldSelector. As it turned out I was able to assume
in many cases that I could break out after a specific field in each
document.

Assuming that I need to gather all result documents each time, what are
the advantages of using a HitCollector over Hits?

Is there some way that I can load the index portion of the lucene data
storage into RAM without loading everything into a RAMDirectory?

Thanks,
Chris McGee

"Erick Erickson" <erickerickson@gmail.com>
10/04/2008 04:18 PM
Please respond to
java-user@lucene.apache.org

java-user@lucene.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: How to improve performance of large numbers of successive searches?

>From this <<< iterate over all of the hits>>> I infer that you're
using a Hits object. This is a no-no when getting more than 100
or so objects. In a nutshell, the query gets re-executed every 100
fetches. So your 2,000 hits are executing the query 20 times.

The Hits object is optimized for returning the top few scoring
documents rather than get the entire result set.

See HitCollector/TopDocs/TopDocCollector etc. for better ways
of doing this.

Also, if you're calling IndexReader.document(i) for each document
you'll inevitably take a lot of time as you're loading all of each
document.
Think about lazy field loading (see FieldSelector).

Best
Erick

P.S. If this is totally off base, perhaps you could post some of the
code you think is slow....