lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Duan, Nick" <ND...@mcdonaldbradley.com>
Subject Lucene vs. Database indexing (RE: Indexing and Searching from within a single Document)
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:56:35 GMT
I think this should be a new thread since it's a different problem.

Based on your description, I don't see any compelling reasons for you to
use Lucene just for indexing purposes, since you are not indexing text
docs as you indicated.  Claiming database of lacking performance is not
accurate and objective.  Your search queries have only the name field
and the two number fields in the where clause.  So you can perform
indexing on those two fields using database's own indexing mechanism,
i.e. the "create index ..." statement, if these fields are not already
declared as primary keys.  You will see dramatic performance improvement
of your search queries.

ND

-----Original Message-----
From: jing_gao@agilent.com [mailto:jing_gao@agilent.com]
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 1:19 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: Indexing and Searching from within a single Document

Hi,

I have a similar question. Not heard back from anyone yet.

Dear Lucene experts,

I'm currently evaluating options for our search tool.

The need is:
I have millions of entries in database, each entry is in such format
(more or less)

ID	Name	Description	start (number)	stop(number)

Currently my application uses the database to do search, queries are in
the following format:

Select * from table where Name like "%mymymy%"

Select * from table where start >5 and stop <50000

I would like very much to use Lucene for such search, for the reason:
1. database performance is not ideal;
2. data is growing to be too big, I want to move to file system,
3. Currently everything is on server, user access through a web
application. I want to provide rich client tool, in which case I would
rather not to bother with database installations on client machine.
Database is my last option;
4. Lucene sounds very cool, I want to use a different technology than
database, which we are very familiar with already.

I read the book, played with the demo. My question is:
As you see, I'm not indexing or querying out documents, I'm interested
in one row of data. If I want to use Lucene, how should I do it? Do I
have to store my data as documents? Since I have millions and millions
of rows in database, if I store each row as a document, it'd be millions
of documents.

What do you suggest?

Thank you!
Jing