lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Vaijanath N. Rao" <vaijanath...@aol.com>
Subject Lucene Indexing structure
Date Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:01:45 GMT
Hi Lucene-user and Lucene-dev,

I want to use lucene as an backend for the Image search (Content based
Image retrieval).

Indexing Mechanism:
a) Get the Image properties such as Texture Tamura (TT), Texture Edge
Histogram (TE), Color Coherence Vector (CCV) and Color Histogram (CH)
and Color Correlogram  (CC) .
b) Convert each of these vector into String and index into lucene as
fields, thush each Image (document in terms of lucene) consist of 6
fields Image name, TT field, TE field, CCV field, CH field and CC field.

Searching Mechanism:
a) For the search Image convert the Image into the above 5 properties.
b) for every field and for every value within the field construct the
query, For example let's say the user wants to search only Color
histogram based similarity and the query Image has 3 1 4 5 as the CH
value the query will look like.
    query = "CH:3 CH:1CH:4 CH:5"
c) for the results returned convert all the field values back into float
and do the distance computation and re-rank the document with lower the
distance on the top and larger distance at the bottom.
for example:
    For above query assume that output has two documents
    with one having CH as "1 3 5 4" and other one having CH as " 3 1 5
4", so the distance computation will rank the second document higher
than the first.

Obviously there is something wrong with the above approach (as to get
the correct document we need to get all the documents and than do the
required distance calculation), but that' due to lack of my knowledge of
Luce and lucene's Index storage.

What I want to know how to improve upon the exsisting architecture other
than making number of fields in the lucene equalling to total number of
feature*size of each feature.

Any other pointer will be welcomed. Is there is any Range tree
implementation within lucene which I can use for this operation.

--Thanks and Regards
Vaijanath N. Rao