lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andy DePue <a...@marathon-man.com>
Subject Re: Using Lucene to find duplicate/similar names
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:10:42 GMT
Thanks for the pointer.  I found the thread, and there is certainly some
interesting information there.  I'd like to stick to what Lucene has
available today, mainly because I lack the time to implement anything
more than that.  I originally thought Levenshtein, but then realized
that Lucene would probably have to do a whole index scan for that?  I
don't need anything too fancy, so I'm still wondering if NGram with some
sort of proximity ranking would do the trick.  By proximity, I mean, how
closely the NGrams in the document field match in proximity and order to
each other as the same NGrams in the search string.  I'm hoping NGrams
would avoid the need for a whole index scan.  Does Lucene already factor
this into its hit score, or would I need to do some custom work?

  - Andy