lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Karl Wettin <karl.wet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: document boost and omitted norms
Date Sat, 05 Apr 2008 17:27:14 GMT
Michael McCandless skrev:
> Karl Wettin wrote:
>> Is it so that document and field boosts are omitted together with
>> Field#setOmitNorms? By setting lengthNorm to 1f in the Similarity for
>> these fields and not omitting norms would fix it?
> >
> Yes and yes.

I'm not sure if I do these things backwards or what, but in this case
the resolution of the 8 bit float of norms is not enough for me.

So I patched the norms float table in Similarity to handle the boost
values I assign my documents. Discretized 100f-250f in 60 bags and
cought up with the default table in 16 more bags.

But to me it seem as this only works if I also turn off length
normalization for all the other fields in my index, as they will affect
the value of the norm?

I could store it in the payloads of my tokens too, but I really don't
want payloads on all of them.

Now I'm thinking it would be nice to store a full float in an optional
document boost file. Perhaps with variable bytesize. But that would take
a lot of effort to update all related code.

Is there an easier way out here? Perhaps variable byte size per norms
and field? Document payloads? I don't know. Help much appreciated.

     karl