lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jamie <>
Subject Re: unexpected query results (AND and OR)
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2008 13:44:34 GMT
I would also like to point out that we also thought about using a filter
but it is being used for other things.

Jamie wrote:
> Hi there
> I need some help in understanding Lucene's query mechanism. I am
> receiving unexpected query results when combining terms with AND and
> OR operators. We are using Lucene to index emails. Our problem is that
> when we execute a search such as '(from:"") and
> (to:"")' we are receiving results that do not contain both
> and i.e. There are some results containing
> only or The AND operator does not appear to
> work as expected by requiring both terms to appear in the document. We
> thought about using the lucene score value to filter exact matches out
> but we cannot do this as documents with even scores around 70% are
> applicable. Are we using Lucene in the wrong way? Is there something
> that we are missing?
> Thanks in advance
> Jamie
> For additional commands, e-mail:

Stimulus Software - MailArchiva
Email Archiving And Compliance
USA Tel: +1-713-366-8072 ext 3
UK Tel: +44-20-80991035 ext 3

To receive MailArchiva Enterprise Edition product announcements, send a message to: <>

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message