lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jamie <ja...@stimulussoft.com>
Subject unexpected query results (AND and OR)
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2008 13:41:07 GMT
Hi there

I need some help in understanding Lucene's query mechanism. I am
receiving unexpected query results when combining terms with AND and OR
operators. We are using Lucene to index emails. Our problem is that when
we execute a search such as '(from:"john@sun.com") and
(to:"tim@aol.com")' we are receiving results that do not contain both
john@sun.com and tim@aol.com. i.e. There are some results containing
only john@sun.com or tim@aol.com. The AND operator does not appear to
work as expected by requiring both terms to appear in the document. We
thought about using the lucene score value to filter exact matches out
but we cannot do this as documents with even scores around 70% are
applicable. Are we using Lucene in the wrong way? Is there something
that we are missing?

Thanks in advance
Jamie