lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fetches the hits very slow (when the date sorting) !
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:31:57 GMT
This has been discussed many times on the list, you'd find a wealth
of information if you searched the mail archive.

The problem usually is that you've stored your dates with fine
resolution. Sorting is dependent on the number of terms, and
if you store millisecond resolution you'll obviously have waaaaaay
more terms than if you store second resolution. Day resolution is
even better.

Also your first sort takes much longer than subsequent sorts since
various caches aren't filled until needed. So be sure you're measuring
response times after a few sorted queries have happened.

Best
Erick