lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Nitasha Walia (niwalia)" <niwa...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: Adding attribute to index
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 21:48:48 GMT
Thanks !!

-----Original Message-----
From: Donna L Gresh [mailto:gresh@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 11:52 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Adding attribute to index

This is "fast and loose" code (from my head; check the syntax). I
*highly* recommend you get a copy of the book Lucene in Action; it will
really help.

To create the index, add a document with two fields; one for the sender
and one for the email text.

IndexWriter indexWriter = new IndexWriter(......

Document emailDoc = new Document();
Field senderField = new Field("sender", senderEmailAddress,
Field.Store.YES, Field.Index.UN_TOKENIZED); emailDoc.add(senderField);
Field textField = new Field("emailText", textOfEmail, Field.Store.YES,
Field.Index.TOKENIZED); emailDoc.add(textField);
indexWriter.addDocument(emailDoc);

Then when you are searching, search in the email text field:

Query query = new TermQuery(new Term("emailText","searchTerm")); Hits
hits = searcher.search(query); Document doc = hits.doc(0); //best fit
document String emailSender = doc.get("sender"); String emailText =
doc.get("emailText");

Donna L. Gresh
Services Research, Mathematical Sciences Department IBM T.J. Watson
Research Center
(914) 945-2472
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/g/donnagresh
gresh@us.ibm.com

"Nitasha Walia (niwalia)" <niwalia@cisco.com> wrote on 04/02/2008
02:26:45
PM:

> Hi,
>
> I am a new user of Java Lucene and need to learn how to add a new
> attribute, such that, given a database of emails, containing sender
> information, searching for a keyword, results in 1. The sender of the
> email 2. The email.
>
> I am using Lucene-2.3.1, and don't know where to start in the huge
> code
base.