lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ken Krugler <kkrugler_li...@transpac.com>
Subject Re: Implement a relaxed PhraseQuery?
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2008 03:17:56 GMT
Hi Cuong,

>I posted this in Solr mailing but then I thought it would be more
>appropriate to have it here.
>
>I thought many people would encounter the situation I'm having here.
>Basically, we'd like to have a PhraseQuery with "minimum should match"
>property similar to BooleanQuery. Consider the query "Senior Java
>Developer":
>
>1) I'd like to do a PhraseQuery on "Senior Java Developer" with a slop of
>say 2, so that the query only matches documents with these words located in
>proximity. I don't want to match documents like "Senior <Huge block of text>
>Java <Huge block of Text> Developer".
>2) I also want to relax PhraseQuery a bit so that it not only match "Senior
>Java Developer"~2 but also matches "Java Developer"~2 but of course with a
>lower score. I can programmatically generate on the combination but it's not
>gonna be efficient if user issues query with many terms.
>
>It looks like the only solution is to hack PhraseScorer and its subclasses.
>Has anyone done this before? If yes, please share your experience.

Back in March 2007 there was a similar thread, where Philipp Nanz
pinged this list about his "FuzzyPhraseQuery". Search on subject ==
"alternative scoring algorithm for PhraseQuery".

I believe Paul Elschot gave him some useful input, but then Philipp
seemed to have dropped off the list...and he didn't respond to my
email asking him if he was able to complete this work.

-- Ken
--
Ken Krugler
Krugle, Inc.