lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Shailendra Mudgal" <mudgal.shailen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Improving Index Search Performance
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:51:24 GMT
> The bottom line is that reading fields from docs is expensive.
> FieldCache will, I believe, load fields for all documents but only
> once - so the second and subsequent times it will be fast.  Even
> without using a cache it is likely that things will speed up because
> of caching by the OS.

As i mentioned in my previous mail that the companyId is a multivalued
field, so caching it will consume a lot of memory. And this way we'll have
to keep the document vs field mapping also in the memory.

> If you've got plenty of memory vs index size you could look at
> RAMDirectory or MMapDirectory.  Or how about some solid state disks?
> Someone recently posted some very impressive performance stats.

The index size is around 20G and the available Memory is 4G so, keeping the
entire index into the memory  is not possible.   But as i mentioned earlier
that it is using only 1 G out of 4 G, so is their a way to specify the
lucene to cache more documents , say use 2G for caching the index ??

I'll appreciate more suggestions on the same problem.

Regards,
Vipin