lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: how to control the disk size of the indices
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2008 01:49:24 GMT
On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Otis Gospodnetic
<otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Yannis,
>
>  I don't think there is anything of that sort in Lucene, but this shouldn't be hard to
do with a process outside Lucene.  Of course. optimizing an index increases its size temporarily,
so your external process would have to take that into account and play it safe.  You could
also set mergeFactor to 1, which should keep your index in a fully optimized state

MergeFactor must be >= 2

You will always need to allow for double the index size due to
increased temporary disk usage during segment merges (including
optimize).   Peak use on a system being searched and indexed
concurrently will often be even higher since currently open readers
reference files that have been deleted.

-Yonik