lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Corrupted Indexes Under Lucene 2.3 (and 2.3.1)
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2008 02:01:10 GMT
On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 7:05 PM, Tyler V <tylervsd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mike -- Thanks so much for the prompt reply.
>
>  You are right, we are accessing these documents with multiple threads
>  (and have always been). However, I am wondering if the increased
>  indexing speed in 2.3 has revealed a hidden concurrency issue.

You are modifying the documents from multiple threads?

My fault... I removed the synchronization on Document (changed from
Vector to ArrayList).  It was never guaranteed to be thread-safe for
modification, and almost never makes sense without external
synchronization anyway.

If you really need to modify a single document from multiple threads,
please synchronize.
That explains the first exception, but no the second.  I assume you
aren't still changing the document while it's being indexed?
It appears as if the original exception causes corruption.

-Yonik